Sunday 9 August 2015

BronyBeeb presents: "Apples to the Core"


One of the ponyish things I do that isn't fanfic-related is converting My Little Pony songs to the BBC Micro, my favourite early-1980s 8-bit computer. It's awkward at times – the Beeb doesn't have the sound capabilities of the Commodore 64 or Game Boy, so there's a lot of compromising involved. It's fun when it works, though. This is my latest effort: "Apples to the Core". A little faster than the original (again, hardware restrictions) but otherwise not bad. Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I loved this and it made me have to go and watch a video of Apple to the Core right afterward. I love that episode and that song SO MUCH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's actually the first time I've done a Beeb arrangement like this entirely by ear; previously, I'd been piggybacking off Everypony Sings, who generously allowed me to use their arrangements as bases. When I did "Smile", which has been the most popular of the lot, I don't think I'd have got very far without that initial help.

      Also, I love the song too. (And the episode, come to that.) I wish it had become more of a brony anthem than it -- it's perfect for that -- but maybe the fandom is a bit too fragmented for stuff like that to happen these days.

      Delete
  2. I really was impressed by this. And especially bearing in mind that this was done entirely without help from any other arrangements. And also bearing in mind the limitations and tricky things involved with actually programming a tune. So it's great to see it turned out so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think it's given me more confidence to try things this way again. As you may have noticed from UK of E, I am currently working on another pony tune -- though I'll keep its identity under my (non-existent) hat for now... ;)

      Delete
    2. Very mysterious. :o Well, you could always borrow Applejack's hat. Pinkie told me she really won't mind at all.

      Delete