Tuesday 3 May 2016

Pony Music Library 3: "Babs Seed"

Things are fairly quiet today, so here's the first non-remixed show song for the PML:


What? "Babs Seed"

Who? Daniel Ingram, Cindy Morrow and David Corman

Which? Show song

When? November 2012

Why? It's fair to say that "One Bad Apple" hasn't gone down as a classic episode, although it did introduce us to Babs herself – but the song that ep contains has been a favourite from the very start. It's simple, catchy and perfect for its audience, and it's no surprised that it's been remixed by any number of people. Performed live, too: I was there when Acoustic Brony did it (non-acoustically!) at BUCK 2014 and The Rainbooms at UK PonyCon in the same year. The version I've chosen, though, is the original. That's partly because of the accompanying video, which is much cleverer than it at first appears. In particular, watch how the ponies' eye-blinks relate to the beat. Oh, and there's that CMC milkshake scene, surely the hnnnggest hnnngg that ever hnnngged hnnngg!

4 comments:

  1. I would like this a episode a bit more if it didn't had that awful Pinkie veggie salad moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think anyone's ever explained why that line was in there. :P

      Delete
  2. I don't know what people have against this episode. It's okay in my book. Not stellar, but I was certainly entertained.

    I love this song. The only gripe I have is the reused animation blocks during the chorus, but that's got nothing to do with the tune itself. It just bugs me when I watch the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The usual objection is that it's a bit on the Very Special Episode side and has a rather clunky "bullying is bad" message.

      I think the reused animation is deliberate, as I'm sure I remember someone official saying that it was designed in homage to the old (and low-budget) Hanna-Barbera song sequences.

      Delete