Saturday 5 May 2018

Pony Music Library 52: "Let Your Mane Down (d.notive cover)" by Replacer


Frith, has it really been two months since the last PML post? I believe it has! Something must be done about that right this minute. Fortunately, I've been on a bit of a brony music binge recently, so I've listened to quite a lot and have chosen one of my favourite songs from that sample here. Replacer also gets props for his stamina: he's still producing fandom music in 2018. Yay for him!

What? "Let Your Mane Down (d.notive cover)"

Who? Replacer

Which? Cover/remix

When? February 2012

Why? I admire d.notive's work, and I quite like his original version of "Let Your Mane Down". (That seems to have disappeared from YouTube, so have this later album version.) However, Replacer's cover/remix is even more to my taste. It is almost ridiculously catchy, with a wildly infectious, uptempo beat and Replacer's excellent vocals. There's also a really nice instrumental break a little before the three-minute mark. The original song was inspired by the S2 episode "Sisterhooves Social", back in the days when Sweetie Belle seemed to live with her parents and only stay with Rarity.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful to see another of these. I've never heard a song quite like this one before, with it's quirky mix of acoustic and electronic sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try not to leave it anything like two months before the next Pony Music Library post! I actually have one or two songs on my shortlist for PML 53 already. :)

      And yes, it's a really distinctive sound. I admire Replacer's work, and I really want to explore more of it.

      Delete